- Germany sees total confirmed coronavirus cases surpass the 1 million markon November 27, 2020 at 5:07 am
RKI reports another 22,806 new cases today, bringing the total confirmed number of coronavirus cases across the country to 1,006,394 For some context, Germany only saw total confirmed cases touch 500,000 so the next 500,000 to reach the 1,000,000 mark came in the last 27 days. There are currently nearly 300,000 reported active cases across
- Here is a quick preview of Japanese industrial output data due Mondayon November 27, 2020 at 4:53 am
This is via Reuters and it also includes a look at the other data coming from Japn next week: "Although the economy is picking up, it remains way below the pre-pandemic level," said Takeshi Minami, chief economist at Norinchukin Research Institute. "As sales declines are prolonged, companies are laying off workers."
- NZD risks skewed toward further strengthon November 27, 2020 at 4:23 am
A brief snippet from ANZ (NZ) on the New Zealand dollar, highlighting a couple of supportive factors: ANZ (Australia) have NZD/USD 'fari value' from their model at 0.64, saying they are neutral for the NZD in the coming week and mildly bullish for the month ahead.
- Germany plans new debt of almost EUR 180bn in 2021 (vs. EUR 96bn originally envisaged)on November 27, 2020 at 4:02 am
Reuters reporting on the big shunt higher in debt plans, citing German MPs. That is a near doubling. To the extent a portion of it sold offshore will see some EUR buying at the margin.
- ForexLive Asia FX news wrap: USD a little softer todayon November 27, 2020 at 3:52 am
Forex news for Asia trading for Friday 27 November 2020 USD/JPY lost ground during the session here and as I post is making fresh lows for the day under 104. There was no specific catalyst visible apart from selling flows into month end. Other currencies have been pretty much flat against the USD (minor chop only) but have just seen some buying
- North Korea executed an FX dealer in Pyongyang because of the rapid drop in the exchange rateon November 27, 2020 at 3:38 am
More out of South Korea's intelligence, earlier this: Also that Kim Jong Un had a forex merchant in Pyongyang executed due to the fall in the exchange rate by 20%. Yikes.
- North Korea has ordered its overseas missions not to antagonise the USon November 27, 2020 at 3:23 am
South Korean intelligence agency reports the order out of Pyongyang. The order also says that if provocation occurs the relevant ambassadors will be punished.
- China Foreign Ministry Spokesperson welcomes Asia's RCEP trade dealon November 27, 2020 at 2:23 am
Hua Chunying is a Foreign Ministry Spokesperson making Twitter comments re: Which of course is b/s given China's banning of imports of many Australian products. Australia and China are both signatories to the RCEP free trade deal ... like only last weekend or something! And its already being trashed by China. Today we saw a worsening on
- China Industrial Profits for October +28.2% y/y (prior +10.1%)on November 27, 2020 at 1:30 am
Industrial profits in China are being underpinned by both improving domestic consumption and external demand (let's see how next month goes for external demand given renewed shutdowns in Europe and the US) China's National Bureau of Statistics reporting profit surged 28.2% in October over the same month last year.
- China to impose anti-dumping duties on Australian wineon November 27, 2020 at 1:04 am
China confirming what had been in the works for some time, and another blow against imports from Australia. China says that Australian exporters have been dumping wine in its market
- Japan's ruling party calls for more support from coronavirus-hit firmson November 27, 2020 at 12:53 am
Calls from Japan's LDP, the party of government in the country, in a draft proposal:
- JPMorgan's S&P target is 4500 (year-end 2021)on November 27, 2020 at 12:28 am
A quickie from a JPM note on the US equities. Looking for much greater gains, citing: JPM are wary on a rise in yields though, saying a 1.5% 10-yr UST yield would make them less comfortable on US stocks.
- NZ Treasury highlights an upside risk to economic growthon November 27, 2020 at 12:19 am
From the NZ Treasury's weekly update, leading with their view on Q3 retail sales: The report is not sunshine though, Tresury recognise risks to growth ahead also.
- The UK is moving to get Oxford-Astra COVID-19 vaccine drug approved fasteron November 27, 2020 at 12:03 am
The UK government has asked the drug regulator to evaluate the vaccine
- South Korea new coronavirus cases are above 500 for another dayon November 26, 2020 at 11:56 pm
South Korea's Prime Minister says the sharp rise is a sign of a full-fledged COVID-19 resurgence.